A company is always benefiting from something that is highly in demand and there is no other alternative as durable as it is. Acrylic plastic is one such thing. Be it in the military, homes, scientific sectors, automobiles, etc. acrylic plastics are in demand everywhere. A clear acrylic sheet can be molded and made into several other articles. Thus, it is very beneficial to produce a thing that can make any other things. The major area of usage of clear acrylic sheets is the construction and interior of redistil and commercial places.
Uses of clear acrylic sheets
- Are used in our day-to-day life. In products like helmets visor glass, shelves, spectacles, bulletproof windows, medical equipment, showpieces, etc.
- The walls of a greenhouse are made of these acrylic sheets.
- It is also used as signage.
- The aquariums are made of clear acrylic sheets so that they are completely transparent.
- This might surprise you but acrylic sheets are also used as a submarine’s window glass.
- It is used for corneal transplant surgery to restore a person’s normal eyesight.
- Used in waterproof paints, since acrylic plastic is waterproof, it will not let the paint absorb moisture from the environment.
Advantages of acrylic plastic
Since clear acrylic sheets are the sturdiest material of plastic, they have benefitted the plastic industry. They have several uses and advantages which are enumerated below.
- They are stronger, lighter, and more durable than glass.
- It is weather-resistant, impact-resistant, and scratch-resistant.
- very easy to clean
- It will always be customizable.
- Non-toxic in its final form.
- It is a waterproof alternative to wood.
- Cheaper alternative to glass.
- Safer to work with compared to glass.
How are these sheets made?
Acrylic is also called Plexiglas also available in different shapes, sizes, and colors. Based on this difference they have different types namely clear acrylic sheets, colored acrylic sheets, mirrored acrylic sheets, white acrylic sheets, etc. They are made by the infusion of a monomer called methyl methacrylate and a catalyst to gain acrylic resin. It is carried out by a process called bulk polymerization.
Benefits of acrylic plastic to the plastic industry
Since it could be used differently and in various sectors, the demand for the clear acrylic sheet is rising. The factories and manufacturers are benefitted if the material they are producing is high in demand. In such circumstances, the production of the material becomes cost-effective. It is not a big deal to invest in its production because eventually, the selling cost will refund the production cost.
Is acrylic plastic eco-friendly?
As we have already discussed, acrylic sheets are durable, easily customizable, resistant to damage, etc. The chances of degrading such material are less as compared to its alternatives like glass and wood.
- Easily perishable and the user will have to substitute them with the new one.
- On the other hand, you use acrylic plastic products for years. With this perspective, acrylic plastics are eco-friendly.
- Many people debate that manufacture of acrylic sheets produces a lot of toxic fumes.
- Secondly, they are neither biodegradable nor easily recyclable.
- These objections could still not compete with the fact that the natural substitutes of acrylic sheets are any better.
- These too are harming nature because they are non-biodegradable and not easily recyclable.
Earlier, people used to use wood, glass, and plastic which were ultimately fragile or costly. Ever since the invention of acrylic plastic in 1928, our lives have become easier. Clear acrylic sheets do not break easily, thus their demand is rising and the plastic industry that is making this acrylic plastic directly benefits. We have seen the use of such sheets almost everywhere around us.